Guide: BIOS 8 Recovery - UEFI Systems
Under Windows 8, 8.1, and Windows 10 or 11, computers that use Bios 8 and are configured for Secure Boot must temporarily change the BIOS configuration for the boot process to boot bootable media such as the Langmeier Backup rescue media for security reasons.
The change from UEFI mode to Legacy mode
Why does the UEFI mode have to be deactivated?
In UEFI mode it is not possible to boot from USB stick, CD, DVD, NIC, etc. on Windows 8/8.1 /10 systems - therefore we temporarily switch to Legacy mode. Proceed as follows:
For Lenovo and Acer computers
1. Restart the computer/laptop and hold down the F2 button until you see the BIOS page. Use the arrows on the keyboard to orient yourself to the right until you see the"Boot" option.
3. Now press the Fn+F10 key combination and select"Yes". Confirm this with the Enter button so that you save the changes.
Now you can boot with the Langmeier Backup - Recovery media and perform a restore. With this procedure you can also undo the changes.
disable Secure Boot
In some cases the "Secure Boot" must be deactivated, so that it is possible to boot from boot media. In the BIOS under the same tab"Boot" you will find the entry"Seucre Boot" - this is set to "Enabled" by default. To deactivate"Secure Boot", select the option with"Enter" and set it to"Disabled". Press F10 to save the changes and restart the computer.
1. Press and hold the F2 or F12 button as soon as you start the Dell laptop - the BIOS mode will appear.
2. Use the right arrow to go to the "Boot" tab - there is the"Secure Boot" option - change it to"Disabled".
3. Check that the option"Load Legacy Option Rom" is enabled and if necessary change this option to"Enabled".
4. Set the"Boot List Option" tab to "Legacy" mode.
Via"Exit" you can close the BIOS mode and save the changes.
Now you can boot with the Langmeier backup - rescue media and perform a restore. You can then also undo the changes with this process.
For HP computers
1. . Press and hold the F10 button (on some HP models also F2 or F8) as soon as you start the HP computer - the BIOS mode will appear.
2. Go via right arrow to the tab"Security" - there is the option"Secure Boot Configuration (or Secure Boot Options)".
3. Press Enter to open a small blue window, change "Secure Boot" to "Disable" and"Legacy Support" to"Enable".
If there is no"Security" tab, look for the"System Configuration" tab and set the"Secure Boot" option to"Disabled".
Now press F10 to save the changes. The HP will now reboot and successfully boot from the Langmeier Backup rescue media. In these windows the changes can also be undone.
If your system is not included in this tutorial, please contact us so we can add it.
Articles relevant to the topicDifference between file backup and image backup?
FAT32 or NTFS? Which format is better for backup?
Langmeier Backup Version 10 is here